The Eagle’s Nest Foundation is rich in history dating back to 1927. Our foundation is rooted in our mission of experiential education for young people, promoting the natural world and the betterment of human character.

Bookmark and Share

The History of the Eagle's Nest Foundation

1927

Mrs. Oppenheimer (Bailey) purchases Eagle’s Nest Camp and moves it from Eagle’s Nest Mountain, Haywood County, NC to our current site in the Little River Valley. The program was only for girls and closed due to WWII.

1939-Brochure-Eagles-Nest-Camp


1945

Dr. Alex and Hannah Waite purchase Eagle’s Nest and open camp for boys and girls the summer of 1945 with the war still ongoing in the Pacific.

1945-Boys-and-Girls


1946

Polio outbreak in Florida causes quarantine for the entire camp for two weeks.

 1945-Mountain-View


1950

Charter as a 501c3 educational, charitable organization with John D’Albora as President.

 1950s-Camp


1968

Carolina’s Camp for Children with Diabetes opens with help from Duke University on the Eagle’s Nest campus. This partnership with the American Diabetes Associations of North and South Carolina and Georgia ran until 1984.

1968-diabetes


1973

Hante has its first Adventure on the Appalachian Trail.

 1973-First-Hante-Adventures


1977

Helen Valentine Waite becomes director of Eagle’s Nest Camp and Dr. Alex Waite retires.

1977_Helen-Valentine


1980’s

“Off Season” programs for adults including yoga retreats, bike treks, canoe adventures.

 Our-Valley


1992

Birch Tree Programs providing transformational experiences for school groups officially opens and runs until 1999.

1990s-First-OA-in-Winter


1993

Eagle’s Nest Camp becomes Eagle’s Nest Foundation overseeing Camp, Hante, The Outdoor Academy and Birch Tree.


1994

The Outdoor Academy officially opens with thanks to the vision of Helen Waite. Ted Wesemann is founding Head of School.

1990s_First-OA-Class


1995

The first OA students matriculate

OA-Class


 2000

Noni Waite-Kucera becomes Executive Director of Eagle’s Nest Foundation

Noni-is-New-Director


2001

Eagle’s Nest purchases 125 acres from P.H. Glatfelter Company including the horse pasture and most of the watershed.

Land-Purchase


2002

The Traditional Arts Center (Wayah and Cheoah) opens thanks to the generous donors of the Roots and Wings Campaign.

 New-Buildings


2012

Eagle’s Nest celebrates 85 years!

 85-years


2016

Protected in perpetuity:  Eagle’s Nest places 76% of its land – 143 acres- under a conservation easement

mushroom-framehorse-pasture-frame


 

 


SUPPORT OUR
MISSION