The Old Lodge

Built when Eagle’s Nest moved to our current location in 1927

The Old Lodge was one of the first gathering spaces built at Eagle’s Nest.The fireplace is the original structure made of local stone and is still used for campfires on rainy evenings. Throughout the years the Old Lodge has been used for dances, musical and drama productions, coffee house (talent shows), game nights and a rainy day shelter.

The New Lodge

Built in 1955 (not so new!)

The New Lodge is home to our ceramics, arts and crafts, and woodworking programs on the ground floor.  The open air space above is where we have our square dances, rainy day activities and stage the musical during Session 2.

The Dining Hall

Built when Eagle’s Nest moved to its current location in 1927, Whole Kitchen updated in 1990 and again in 2017.

Located in the heart of campus, the Dining Hall is central to everything we do at camp, most importantly for sharing delicious meals with our table families, after lunch singing, and silly skits.

The J.B. Hannum Sun Lodge

Completed in 1979

This name was chosen to honor John Ballad (JB) Hannum, an educator and administrator at Eagle’s Nest Camp for many years. JB was a lead teacher and administrator at P.K. Yonge School at the University of Florida in Gainesville. JB was renowned as an instructor of Civics at the school, and he was an experiential educator at heart. When Eagle’s Nest became an experiential education center in the 1980’s and 90’s, JB was an active supporter. Additionally, he aided in the design of the Hante Adventures program to provide journeys of maturity and growth for teens. The Sun Lodge was built to house the Hante program as a separate entity from Eagle’s Nest Camp. JB never went on a Hante trip, but he helped in every way he could to get the group out and on its journey, hence the Foundation’s honor for him. The Sun Lodge is now used to house and feed students of The Outdoor Academy as well as the Hante program and some Camp staff members. The building was designed by Lowell Lotspeich as a passive solar building facing the sun. A new deck was added in 2023 and is dedicated to Ted Wesemann, who is the founding Director of The Outdoor Academy.


Built in 1994 

Sikwayi (also spelled Sequoyah) was built to create a classroom and library space for the opening of The Outdoor Academy in 1995 and to replace the original Camp Program Office that sat in Sikwayi’s current location.  Today, the main floor of Sikwayi is primarily used by The Outdoor Academy as a classroom, library, and meeting space; the breezeway level is the site of our camp program offices; and the lower level houses two living spaces. The building name was chosen to honor Sequoyah (also spelled Sikwayi), a Cherokee man who was the creator of the Cherokee Syllabary, a written form of the Cherokee language. Seqouyah developed the Cherokee Syllabary in 1821 and the Syllabary was formally adopted by the Cherokee nation in 1825. The Syllabary led to the literacy of a large number of Cherokee people in the 19th century and continues to be used by Cherokee people today.  The naming of the building was supported through a naming grant given by longtime Eagle’s Nest Trustee Jonatha Gibaud and her husband Ken Wallston. 


Completed in 2001

Cheoah is one of two buildings that house the traditional arts center; the other arts building, which shares a common deck, is Wayah. Cheoah is dedicated to Dr. Edward Eliscu, who was a member of the Eagle’s Nest Foundation Board of Trustees for seventeen years. In the Cherokee language “Cheoah” means “otter”. Cheoah Bald in the Nantahala National Forest, which is known to be the steepest climb on the southern portion of the Appalachian Trail, is where Ed famously, and, in a fit of exhaustion from the climb and a “too heavy pack”, threw his Pemmican Bread (a staple of Hante program participant backpacks),over the steep cliff of the Bald. Successfully hiking through to the other side of that experience on Cheoah Bald and Ed’s playful nature, much like that of the otter, led to the naming of this building.  Cheoah houses all of our musical instruments including a drum collection attained  through a cultural exchange facilitated by former staff member and OA Director, Mark Braun and a longtime Ghanian camp staff member and master drummer, Ahmed Gbeku.  Each summer Ahmed brought more drums to expand the collection and share the music and traditions of his home country with our campers and staff. The downstairs of Cheoah has an apartment for camp leadership staff and the staff lounge for camp staff.


Completed in 2002

Wayah is dedicated to Helen Waite, who is a  former Camp Director, Executive Director and is the founder of The Outdoor Academy and Hante. The building was named in Helen’s honor to celebrate her vision, dedication to, and love for Eagle’s Nest Foundation. Wayah (wa ya),is the anglicized Cherokee word for “wolf”.  Wayah Bald, which is a beautiful mountain located in the Nantahala National Forest, was frequented by Helen both personally and on the many Appalachian Trail Treks she led. The wolf also represents for Helen the sense of community and support that can be found within the wild wolf pack. Helen’s love of both Wayah Bald and the strength of community led to the naming of this building.. This is the second of the two traditional arts center buildings whose construction were the focus of the Roots and Wings capital campaign. Wayah is a space for visual and performing arts. In addition to housing a dark room used to teach film photography classes, Wayah is also the location of a costume closet of pieces donated over the years to Eagle’s Nest and used by students, staff, and campers for various productions, skits, and performances across campus. During The Outdoor Academy this space also serves as a classroom.

Mo’s Hillside

Completed in 2020 

Mo Waite was a scientist, educator and conservationist who was deeply devoted to Eagle’s Nest. In 1950, Mo’s parents Dr. Alex and Hannah Waite chartered Eagle’s Nest Camp as a nonprofit and then served as Directors until 1977 when Mo’s wife, Helen Waite, stepped into the Director leadership role. Mo continued his parents’ legacy by serving Eagle’s Nest in many capacities (including running the camp laundry) through the following decades. Mo served on the Board of Trustees for over 35 years and was instrumental in the establishment of the camps for Children with Diabetes. Mo was a gifted teacher, administrator, ceramicist, furniture maker, gardener, whitewater paddler, world traveler, and more; his interests and talents ranged as wide as the circle of people who respected and loved him. All that Mo gave to Eagle’s Nest will carry on to future generations.

Mo’s Hillside was built as a multi-use office and living space for The Outdoor Academy (OA) and Eagle’s Nest Camp. The offices for The Outdoor Academy are located to each side of the upper deck. During the school year the lower deck includes individual bedrooms for OA Residents along with a shared living space and kitchen. During the summer, the lower bedrooms and living space house seasonal and full-time camp leadership, as do two of the upper OA offices.

Other Named Buildings of Interest:

Hamilton’s Hut is named for Melvin Hamilton, who was a longtime Property Manager at Eagle’s Nest Foundation.

Chez Mimi is named for Hannah and Alex Waite, who were the founders of Eagle’s Nest Camp as we know it today.  “Mimi” was the name Hannah’s grandchildren called her.  

Tennis Courts-  are also named for Alex and Hannah Waite

Cabin Library – served first as the arts and crafts building for camp and then as a library before becoming a cabin for campers in the early 1980’s.

Cabin Tree Tops – is named for its location high on stilts on the hill.

Huber Cabin – is named for Mariella Davidson Waite Huber. In 1965 Mariella moved the cabin, which was built in the mid 1800’s, from down the Little River Valley to Eagle’s Nest. The cabin was moved to campus log by log and rebuilt where it stands today.  Mariella’s husband Joe Huber donated the cabin to Eagle’s Nest in 2007.