welcome to Hante spain
Few countries have been as culturally impactful as Spain; the vast spread of its language, art, music, literature, and cuisine speak for itself. On this Hante, you will have the opportunity to experience the full range of Spanish culture as you venture through the significant urban areas of Madrid and Barcelona, as well as the small towns and quaint villages along the Camino de Santiago – otherwise known as the “Way of St. James”, a globally prominent pilgrimage leading to the shrine of the apostle St. James the Great in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. You and your peers will marvel over the beauty, history, and architecture of these unique places, and gain an appreciation for the diversity of groups and thoughts that contributed to each locale’s creation. Over the course of this adventure, you will gain a greater understanding in what it means to be a global citizen, reflecting on your own perspectives as you engage with the perspectives of local Spanish communities. This will surely lead to captivating group discussions and form cohesive bonds amongst group members. In this way, participants will find their intrapersonal and interpersonal capacities dramatically changed from this profound international endeavor.
July 16-August 4, 2023 (meets at Hartsfield- Jackson Atlanta Airport- ATL)
For participants completing grades 8th through 11th grade in Spring 2023
Cost: $5,995 (+Airfare)
Trips Goals and Highlights
- Hike the last 70 miles of the Camino de Santiago, one of the most historic treks in the world
- Experience two of Europe’s cultural epicenters, Madrid and Barcelona
- Appreciate the diverse landscape of nearly the entire country, as you travel from Spain’s western end (Santiago de Compostela) to its eastern end (Barcelona)
- July 16-19: Travel to and explore Madrid. The group will gather together at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport (ATL) before flying overseas to the heart of Spain. From here, you will have three full days of exploring this world-renown capital, with plenty of time to stroll through plazas and parks, visit museums, and learn about its rich history and culture.
- July 20: Prep day for trek in Sarria. This day will be a busy one! You will travel from Madrid to Sarria, where the group will spend time to exploring the area; packing gear; adjusting to a new culture and way of life; and setting goals and expectations to prepare for the upcoming adventure.
- July 21-25: Trek from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. The journey begins! You will start your adventure in the historic village of Sarria and hike the remaining 70 miles of the Camino de Santiago. This will be a challenging but truly rewarding experience as you traverse through rolling hills, beautiful towns, and engage with local communities.
- July 26-28: Explore Santiago de Compostela and Fisterra. After arriving at your trek’s terminus, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the great cities of Santiago de Compostela and Fisterra: learn more about the famous pilgrimage, visit the shrine of St. James the Great in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, and appreciate the history, architecture, and beautiful coast.
- July 29: Travel day to Madrid. Your group will take a train from Santiago de Compostela back to Madrid en route to Barcelona and its surrounding villages.
- July 30-August 2: Travel to and explore Barcelona, Girona, and surrounding villages. Your group will take a train to Girona, one of the villages outside of Barcelona, to stay for four full days of exploration. Girona’s location is ideal for day trips to Barcelona, the coast, and other surrounding communities. By spending time in these smaller villages, you will have opportunities to become a more independent traveler as you practice your Spanish-speaking and navigational abilities.
- August 3: De-issue, pack-up, and debrief. This last full day will be spent packing, organizing, and debriefing the experience: sharing memories of our time together, reflecting on lessons learned over the course of the trip, developing a greater understanding of our place in the world, and creating action steps to apply towards our lives going forward.
- August 4: Fly from Barcelona to Atlanta. Participants will fly out of Barcelona back to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport (ATL) as a group, and then go their separate ways from that point to spread their leadership knowledge to the greater world.
Hante Spain Equipment List:
To apply for a Hante Adventure:
All Hante participants and their parents must complete a Questionnaire before being considered for acceptance. (*) Select Hantes have an application deadline of November 15th and are not eligible for the Early Bird Discount. Rolling admittance pending availability after November 15th for (*)Hantes.
All Added Adventure, Hante Adventures, and Junior Counselor participants and their parents or guardians must complete all questionnaires before being considered for the program. Questionnaires are available with registration on CampDoc.
Questions about your application or having trouble getting started? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 336-761-1040.